Re: Multi-cast support in Ethernet drivers

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 02:42:45PM +0400, Alexander Aganichev wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> wrote:
>> > The stack sets up multi-cast MAC to 01:00:5e:00:00:01 and cannot talk
>> > to my DHCP anymore.
>>
>> My first guess is that you are programming the filter incorrectly in
>> your MAC chip. It could be you are blocking the broadcast address, or
>> the unicast address for your device. Is the DHCP server broadcasting
>> is response, or unicasting it?
>
> Shouldn't the upper layer provide broadcast address in the list to
> ETH_DRV_SET_MC_LIST if it wants to receive broadcast packets? My guess
> it is upper layer responsibility to do so, because of otherwise I do
> not see any sense for that call...

No, i would expect the default is that the upper layer expects the
device to always receive broadcast. However maybe your device does
not? It is at least something to test. Maybe take a look at the Linux
driver and see what it does for its multicast call. You cannot
directly use the code, since it is GPL, but you can look and see if it
does anything interesting.

     Andrew