Re: Legacy Flash implementation

Rutger Hofman wrote:
Ahum. I guess I had forgotten this now, but it appears that Flash v2 (including legacy API) requires CVS branch flash_v2 in the checkout. Having a different branch is entirely consistent with my problems.

OK, it's trivial to get -r flash_v2_tag. But this effectively gives me an eCos CVS snapshot from 2004, with patches *only* to the flash modules. I would very much prefer to be in sync with the main eCos CVS trunk and still have flash_v2 -- I want the newer i2c, for example.

I think there are a number of different solutions to this:

1) eCos maintainers merge the flash v2 branch into the main trunk. This would be perfect.

2) I myself merge the v2 branch into my checkout of the main trunk. I attempted this, and it gives me a number of conflicts, especially in redboot flash.c. The conflicts are caused by 2 additions in the main trunk to redboot flash.c: REDBOOT_FLASH_REVERSE_BYTEORDER and CYGOPT_REDBOOT_REDUNDANT_FIS. Addition of an 'ls' command apparently is handled seemlessly by CVS. Mostly, the conflict resolution in redboot flash.c seems to be straightforward, but a few difficult sites reaain. Also, as things are with CVS, there may be invisible conflicts: both parent branches may have added code in different places, but the additions are inconsistent. For the rest of the tree, of course the same holds, but my feeling is that the merge is painless, because it's very much localized.
Now, I don't build redboot, I build eCos applications. So any remaining errors in redboot flash.c are not going to bite me, right? But it still feels unsatisfactory to have a checkout that may be broken in redboot.
The obvious downside of this approach is that I will have a conflict each time anything related to flash is changed in the repository. This is not so very attractive!

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam