Re: Some simple questitions

On 2006-09-04, Dmitry Varakin <dvarakin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have questitions about eCos:

> 1. Is it possible to change MAC and IP addresses "on the fly". For
> example, function like "set_mac_addr (eth0, my_mac)".

Sure. Most Ethernet drivers support that, and changing the IP
address is done using the normal BSD sycsctrl calls.

> 2. Can I have direct access to processor's registers from my user
> application?

Yes.  Gcc allows inline assembly language that allows access to
processor registers.

> Linux has "mmap()" function for that purpose.

No, it doesn't.  That's not what mmap() does.

> 3. Is it possible to unload RedBoot from RAM when my user application
> is starting (to increase amount of free RAM)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "unload".  Applications are free
to overwrite any RAM that RedBoot uses as long as they don't
try to return to RedBoot afterwards

> 4. Where can I download the toolchain to compile eCos with cygwin?

Try eCosCentric.com.  Better yet, try Linux. ;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com