To: "Martijn Hazenberg [GOVA]" <martijn@gova.info>
Cc: <ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org>
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Will ECOS run on an ATMEL AT91SAM7A3 controller ?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:31:14AM +0100, Martijn Hazenberg [GOVA] wrote:
Hi,

A simple question :
Will ECOS run on an ATMEL AT91SAM7A3 controller ?
It has 256 kbyte flash, and 32 kbyte sram. It's capable of running at 60
mhz.
It will be used for a motor controller with dual can bus. No need for any
special rich os features.

Im currently working on the ports to the AT91SAM7SXXX. These have similar memory sizes. I have a AT91SAMS764. This has 16Kbytes SRAM and 64 Kbytes FLASH. I have to change the stack sizes in order to get things to fit, but i have got some of the eCos test programs to fit in this RAM/FLASH. Others are just too big. Generally programs with lots of threads have problems becasue of there stacks. If you can keep the number of threads low and tune your stack sizes you should be able to get a minimal eCos system running. I've no experiance with CAN though, so i don't know how big the CAN bus drivers and stack is.

I just had a 30 second look at the AT91SAM7A3. It looks very similar
to the AT91SAM7SXXX so i don't think a port will be too hard.

Andrew