Newbie having problems with iPaq

Hi all,

I've got an iPaq 3650.  I'm using cygwin on XP, along with the prebuilt
arm tools available off redhat (which seem to be the same as off
ecoscentric).

All I'm trying to do is use one of those example programs to simply put
something onto the ipaq's screen.  That's all.  It shouldn't be hard.

I've tried a few different build types (minimal, full, default) with a few
different versions of the source tree.  I'm currently working with (I
believe) the latest source tree and build tools (eCos Configuration Tool
2.net (Jun 23 2004...)).

I've updated the hardware RedBoot image a few times, as I've found newer
versions.
I can happily dump text to the serial port all day long.
I tried changing the default console device (in both places).  I've tried
/dev/tty1 (and /dev/tty0), plus a few others.
I've tried disabling "Inherit console settings from ROM monitor", and a
few other settings in/'round there.
...and a whole bunch of other combinations...

All that ever occurs, is I get a blank screen containing a solid cursor in
the upper left-hand corner, and the redhat/ecos logo across the bottom.
I've been banging away at this for a few days now.  I've done the searches
in the archives...

The (last) GDB output is as follows (which happened to be based on the
default configuration):

|| /cygdrive/c/ecos/ecos-2.0/examples> arm-elf-gdb -nw serial
|| GNU gdb 5.3 (eCosCentric)
|| Copyright 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
|| GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you
|| are
|| welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
|| conditions.
|| Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
|| There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
|| details.
|| This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...
|| (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
|| (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
|| Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
|| 0x50047c14 in ?? ()
|| (gdb) load
|| Start address 0x20040, load size 48776
|| Transfer rate: 27872 bits/sec, 299 bytes/write.
|| (gdb) cont
|| Continuing.
|| Init device '/dev/ttydiag'
|| Init tty channel: 2bdd4
|| Init device '/dev/tty1'
|| Init tty channel: 2bdf0
|| Init device '/dev/haldiag'
|| HAL/diag SERIAL init
|| Starting serial example
|| serial example is working correctly!
|| [New Thread 1]
|| Program received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
|| [Switching to Thread 1]
|| idle_thread_main(unsigned) (data=0)
||     at /ecos-c/ecos/ecos-
|| 2.0/packages/kernel/current/src/common/thread.cxx:1243
|| 1243            idle_thread_loops[CYG_KERNEL_CPU_THIS()]++;
|| (gdb) quit
|| The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
|| /cygdrive/c/ecos/ecos-2.0/examples>

But...of course, it isn't working correctly because I can't see any of the
regular printf() outputs!

Help!  Thanx in advance,

--Rob