Re[2]: snmpTrapOID

Dear Sir!

>> snmp v2 trap consists of:
>>      sysUpTime   // {1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0}
>>      snmpTrapOID // {1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.4.1.0}
>>      varList     // optional, I can attach anyone variable or more

>> I can understand what is sysUpTime - it is a time, in timeticks, from
>> system power up till sending trap.

>> But what is snmpTrapOID? I know, it holds some OID, but what is sense
>> of the thing? What purpose it serves?

> SNMP defines many traps.
> The value of an SNMP object with sysUpTime as OID specifies the time
> since the last reset for the SNMP node.

> Likewise, the value of an SNMP object with snmpTrapOID as OID specifies
> the trap that the SNMP message is referring to.

> Hope this helps.
> Khurram

From RFC 1448:
The second variable is snmpTrapOID.0, which contains
the administratively assigned name of the notification.

What does snmpTrapOID->OID should contain? I mean, snmpTrapOID
contains OID, which contains something else.
Should snmpTrapOID point to some variable OID, which is reason of
generating the trap?

Sincerely yours
Yuriy Coureelo