Keyboard issue

Hi,
   I am working on porting of Redboot to i386 platform with VIA rhine
ehternet controller.

I am able to boot the system with red boot.

once booted when i press any key like "asdfghjkl" all where displayed
in CAPS "ASDFGHGJKL" in the command line. (The caps lock was not on).

So i checked the source code and found that the "KBScanTable" array
was corrupted from index "0x1E" ie. 'a'. till index 0x35 ie..'/'....

the corruption is such that the columns are shifted left by one column...

  KBScanTable with 4 columns

Actual values are as follows...

column 0             1               2               3
             'a '          'A'             0x01          0xFF

In my case it had become

column 0             1               2               3
             'A'             0x01      0xFF          'a'

this behaviour is observed till character '/' in the  KBScanTable .

so i made a fix by changing my KBScanTable so that this will get
properly aligned in memory.

from 'a' to '/'.

Now the keyboard is working fine...

i want to know what might be the problem....Is it a endian
problem...or boundary alignment problem.

Help in knowing what it is...

Regards,
Sriram.R