Help with using wallclock

I have some basic questions about the use of the wallclock package.

Currently, the following are defined:
   CYGPKG_IO_WALLCLOCK
   CYGSEM_WALLCLOCK_MODE : init_get
   CYGPKG_WALLCLOCK_EMULATE

My basic misunderstanding is the relationship between the
application's view of time (HH:MM:SS DD MM YYYY) and how
this is updated/made current by the wallclock package.

I've read the documentation but I don't understand which
the application-level API calls can/should be used.

Are there functions/macros to convert from human-time to seconds?
(i.e. 14 Feb 2005 10:23:00 to xxx seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00)

What is the relationship between libc time() and the wallclock package?

How is the emulated wallclock updated?

My eventual goal is to use the RTC on the microcontroller we are using (Sharp LH79520). This would change the implementation but will it have an effect on the application level interface?

Please excuse my simplistic questions, I just can't get over a few basic hurdles.

Thanks
Dave