Re: DHCP problem with interrupt eth driver

Hi Stefan

Well even I had experienced this problem while using the DHCP configuration
option in the Basic Networking Framework in eCos. I had the net package
enabled in the 'net' package configuration for the Rattler board. I was
using DHCP to get my IP address.

I found that it was sending the DHCP Discover request and getting the DHCP
Offer message. Then it was sending the DHCP Request message but was not
getting the DHCP Ack reply from the DHCP server. So it was continuously
sending it and we were getting the display similar to what you're getting.

Well then we switched to BOOTP and that didn't seem to work either. Then we
found that the BOOTP server was ***unicasting*** the BOOTP reply back to our
target. And I guess in the eCos networking stack, the BOOTP/DHCP protocols
are designed to watch out for replies that are specifically ***broadcast***
back to it. So as soon as we configured the BOOTP server to broadcast the
BOOTP reply, our target accepted the IP address allocated to it and
everything worked just fine!

I did not then revert to DHCP and investigate the problem further, as we
were supposed to use BOOTP in any case. But just see if this might be the
problem with you too. See if your DHCP server unicasts or broadcasts its
replies, and try changing it and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vijay

---------DHCPSTATE_INIT sending:
BOOTP[eth0] op: REQUEST
       htype: Ethernet
        hlen: 6
        hops: 0
         xid: 0x63b70107
        secs: 33
       flags: 0x8000
       hw_addr: 00:60:6e:00:01:07
     client IP: 0.0.0.0
         my IP: 0.0.0.0
     server IP: 0.0.0.0
    gateway IP: 0.0.0.0
        DHCP message: 1 DISCOVER
        DHCP option: 37/55.9: 54 51 58 59 1 3 6 15 28
        DHCP option: 39/57.2: 576