Re: redboot on IXDP425

jerzy dyrda wrote:

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:28, Nickolay wrote:

jerzy dyrda wrote:

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 19:39, Nickolay wrote:

Mark Salter wrote:

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 09:31 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 17:13 +0100, jerzy dyrda wrote:

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 16:55, Mark Salter wrote:

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 18:47 +0300, Nickolay wrote:

Mark Salter wrote:

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 18:17 +0300, Nickolay wrote:

Hello Guys!

Anyone know, how i can install redboot on IXDP425 target?
I has vxWorks bootloader installed, and i need rewrite them or
boot redboot on them.

The flash is socketed on the IXDP425, so you can use a device
programmer. The alternative is to use a jtag based flash
programmer.

--Mark

That's true!
But maybe anyone know how load redboot via vxworks bootloader?
Can i use redboot.bin for this purpose, or redboot.bin is for
upgrade redboot from redboot the self?

redboot.bin is just a raw binary image. It needs to get programmed
to the start of flash. I'm not sure about the vxworks bootloader
capabilities.

--Mark

Hello

I heard from vxWorks guys - it isn't possibility to write image by
vxWorks bootloader and this bootloader don't configure hardware e.g
PCI - Do you have other loader?

Why not use the VxWorks loader to load a RAM version of RedBoot
(from ELF).  Then use that to load & program the FLASH (ROM) version.

Mark - should this work? [it certainly does for most platforms]

I'm not sure. VxWorks may use a different mmu mapping than RedBoot.

--Mark

Hmm... but we talk about vxWorks loader, not vxWorks operation system.
And i think that vxWorks loader doesn't use MMU?

Hi again,

Probably , this is only suppose because it isn't all sources for vxWorks,
loader use MMU with translation one to one (virtual to  physical). You can
use loader's option copy and go.

Best Regards,
jerzy

Hmm...
vxWorks loader doesn't has opton "copy and go".
I used option 'm' for modify memory and write redboot.bin at 0x80000,
and then option
'g' for go to 0x80040, but it isn't work...

This is all bootloader options:
[VxWorks Boot]: ?

? - print this list
@ - boot (load and go)
p - print boot params
c - change boot params
l - load boot file
g adrs - go to adrs
d adrs[,n] - display memory
m adrs - modify memory
f adrs, nbytes, value - fill memory
t adrs, adrs, nbytes - copy memory
e - print fatal exception
n netif - print network interface device address
$dev(0,procnum)host:/file h=# e=# b=# g=# u=usr [pw=passwd] f=#
tn=targetname s=script o=other
Boot flags:
0x02 - load local system symbols
0x04 - don't autoboot
0x08 - quick autoboot (no countdown)
0x20 - disable login security
0x40 - use bootp to get boot parameters
0x80 - use tftp to get boot image
0x100 - use proxy arp

Hi Nicolay,

I think about :
1.>  t adrs, adrs, nbytes  - copy memory - to copy program in proper place
2. >  g adrs                - go to adrs - go to selected address

Probably this loader "make something special" for vxWorks image - documentation for loader is very poor ( I spoke today morning with someone from vxWorks but he told me only that : load, copy to proper place and go adrs).

Best Regards,
jerzy

I am not sure if it works the same on the IXDP425 platform. But on i386 with VxWorks 2.01's boot loader, you can go into 'C' change boot parms file and select an image file and location (including FTP). However the version of VxWorks we were using could only load a.out format. I think the newer version supports elf.

Good luck
David