Re: "Ignoring packet error" in GDB

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 09:26:37AM -0800, leslie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I still couldn't get my program to execute on the board.
> So I tried using the GDB to see whats the error messages generated, but
> there are some problems. I managed to connect to the target (program
> stopped at 0x180771c), but while downloading the program onto the
> board, I got the "Ignoring packet error" message.
>
> I checked for similar problems discussed in the mailing list but I
> don't think its due to downloading program in a non RAM region, as in
> most cases I found. My RAM region is from address 0x0000-0x48000 and
> from my available RAM is from 0x168A0-0x48000. The various sections
> were downloaded to region before 0x168A0 (thats region used by Redboot
> for vector tables and runtime data right?). And the errors occured
> while loading the sections. So what could be the reason that I failed
> to download the program for debugging?

Yes, you are downloading your program on top of the currently running
program which causes it to crash.

> What does it mean by eCos application is not position independent? Is
> it okay to run the program as long as I load it in the free RAM region?

A position independant program is one that you can load anywhere into
RAM and it will execute correctly. It does not care where in RAM it
is. eCos programs are not position independent. They must be loaded
exactly where they expect to be.

> >From what I read in the documentations, after loading the image eCos
> should know where to start execution. Do I have to define the location
> to load the image in the linker file?

Yes. Take a look at the .ldi files in the HAL sources for your target.

        Andrew