Re: IO_Flash & DataFlash

Hello, Savin.

I developed DataFlash driver some time ago,(but it wasn't finished)
and I had the same issue.

Simple solution is a ignoring of "unnecessary" bytes in DataFlash
page. DF Page size is 528 bytes and if we will align that to 512 bytes
we will losing 16 bytes per page only.

It can be used internally by DF driver for block regeneration(after
10.000 writes by Atmels's datasheet).

As for as I remember Atmels' proprietary filesystem - DFFS using this feature.

This is an possibility if you plan to make use of this 'reserved' bytes, if not it sounds like a hack...

I think that using DataFlash through io_flash API is interesting for accessing it with RedBoot and
running jffs2 on it. For application use there are a lot of nice features that can't be used through io_flash,
for that I'am thinking of making an separate DataFlash API.

About the block regeneration - it is sector limited, if we reserve one or two sectors for RedBoot data +
application code it should be OK without any block regeneration, because of the nature of writes
(supposing that the RedBoot data doesn't change +10.000 times w/o changing the app code).
Jffs2 does wear leveling so the page writes should be distributed - if so no regeneration is needed.
As for the app specific usage it is best left to the app itself.

savin