Re: Run Redboot from flash

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 06:57, Ricardo Andrino wrote:
> Hello and thank you again, I will do what you say.
> Now i am running redboot fron RAM and try to run the hello program. I have made the following:
>
> 1)Convert the elf image (with no extension or .elf or .exe) to Binary (.bin) image:
> for ARM:
> $arm-elf-objcopy -O binary hello hello.bin
>
> 2)Open terminal:
> for Linux: Open minicom
> $ minicom
>
> 3)Set the baud rates & other Uart parameters:
> usualy 38400 baud + 8bits + no parity + no handshake. Hardware and Software flow control NO.
>
> 4)RedBoot> load -r -m xmodem -b 0x000200c0 ( first memory zone available after download redboot_RAM.elf)
>
> 5)After issuing the command send the .bin file using XMODEM protocol:
> for Linux (minicom):
> issue send file command <Cntl+A, S>, select "send xmodem", type the path to the file (.bin) & send
>
> 6)At the Redboot prompt "RedBoot> " issue the 'go' command:
> RedBoot> go 0x20100( after 40 position for vectors, i am not sure about this, should be 0x000200c0?)
>
> I should see the application running & the outputs on the terminal window but no output is diplayed but the led D3 light.........(EB40A)
>
> I have made correct the redboot_RAM.elf, connecto to redboot, a hello RAM aplication etc, etc....
>
> Any ideas?

This doesn't work because the eCos application will be linked to run
at 0x20000, but you've loaded it to 0x200C0.  If your RedBoot is truly
using all of that RAM, you'll need to adjust the memory layout for RAM
applications to start higher.

Much simpler would be to tune your RedBoot so that it's memory use is
less.  There are a number of simple things that you can do to help this.
Try reducing the number of history lines - that should get it down
quickly.

Also, don't load ELF images (I assume that's what you tried) with -r.
This option tells RedBoot not to interpret the image at all.  What you
ended up doing was executing the ELF header - not exactly ARM code!
If things are set up correctly, you should be able to just:
  RedBoot> load -m xm
  ... send file
  RedBoot> go

--