RE: mp3 or mpeg4 feasibility on eCos

MP3 codecs can easily be implemented in software where the target CPU has
enough MIPS to handle the numerical processing required. Even then, it would
work better on a CPU with some sort of DSP-like acceleration, e.g.
multiplier-accumulator etc. Having the right peripheral support on your
target is also very important for streaming audio in and out of the device.

MPEG-4 video requires much more processing power and may often use dedicated
hardware acceleration or a fast DSP in embedded applications (take a look at
set-top-box embedded processors to give you an idea). Similarly, hardware
support for frame capture and frame buffering is necessary for video input
and output respectively.

The use of these codecs on an embedded system is different and often custom
to, say, on a PC, where the OS normally has supporting libraries to
facilitate audio and video I/O, for example, Microsoft's DirectX on
Microsoft Windows. Also, the power of the hardware running in a typical PC
these days (especially in the graphics area) is much more than you will find
in an embedded system.

Something like the Compaq IPAQ might be an interesting choice for trying to
get MP3 working under eCos if you can get 'under the hood' and understand
its design.

Robert Cragie, Design Engineer
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT,  UK
http://www.jennic.com  Tel: +44 (0) 114 281 2655