Re: Addition: ecos build system remarks (configtool/ecosconfig)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:23:44AM +0200, Peter Soetens wrote:

> I forgot another very important one :
>
> * the headers are copied to the install directory (again build.cxx), why not
> make symbolic links (to be optional) ? If my IDE opens a header for fixing
> compile errors, it will always open the installed version, thus modifying not
> the original.

The install directory is designed to be stand alone. You have
everything you need within it to build eCos applications. You don't
need the repository any more. You can ship the install directory to
customers, mirror it to other development machines, archive it to tape
etc, knowing its stand alone.

If you had symbolic links, a cvs up of your repository could
potentially break your working work-trees.

O yes, symbol links are also not particularly well supported on M$
systems.

After falling into the IDE trap a few times, you learn the lesson. One
thing to try. Does you IDE know about symbolic links? When you edit a
symbolic link file, does it change the linked file, or replace the
symbolic link we a new copy of the file? Most editors tend to play
safe by creating a new tmp file with the new contents, rename the old
file to .bak and then rename the tmp to the source file name. This
obviously doesn't work with symbolic links.....

For me, the current way of doing it is correct.

          Andrew