About "File I/O operations via GDB"

Hi everybody,

Does anyone have experience with this option ? My goal is to try to
route "fopens" (and the like) executed on the target to the debugging
host filesystem, presumably using GDB.

(target is an i386 pc but will change in the future, that's why I try to
simulate without using a disk!)

I've searched the lists. I've searched the Net. Nothing clear about
this, especially on non-ARM targets. Here's a snapshot of my knowledge
:-)

* I understand it's about Redboot syscalls and virtual vectors. Apart
from selecting the option what is needed ? I think I don't have problems
w/ virtual vectors since the "rest" seems to work. How can I make sure
my app is able to talk to Redboot if needed ?

* I guess the app (or the stdiolib) must be recompiled to map file i/o
operations, but I was unable to find info about the way to do it (on my
"i386-all" setup I cannot select the "file operations via GDB"
checkbox).

* The comment for the option says "doable only through RedBoot syscall".
Does it mean it must be hard-coded in the program by hand ? How do you
call those services (I know there are SYSCALL macros for this) ?

* Any special stuff for ARM targets (what is newlib / libgloss BTW) ?

* What about gdb/Insight special configuration on the debugging host ?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide !

Have a nice day

VL