How to find out if socket closed?

I've been browsing around the old network stack code for a
couple hours now trying to figure out a way to determine if a
TCP connection has been closed by the other end.

I can't read data from it because I've got nowhere to put it,
but I need to know if it's closed.  I can't write any data to
the socket either.  Is there any way to query a socket to find
out if the other end has been closed?

Under Unix, I think I'd get a SIGPIPE when the other end does a
close(), right?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com