ECOS and Centaur machines

Hello Everyone,

I'm evaluating whether or not to use ECOS in a couple of projects of mine.

Project #1: The central intelligence for a robotics platform that moves
around the house.

Project #2: A "Java" computer on which to develop an interactive operating system in Java itself.

Both of these projects need a tight real time/multi-threaded kernel.

The platform I'm probably going to use is the EPIA-M fanless, low power motherboard (made by Via and uses the Centaur processor). It looks pretty much like a PC (boots windows, Linux, and FreeBSD) and has some useful peripherals built in. The robotics application appreciates the availability of inexpensive 60W DC-DC converters for battery operation.

So I'm just getting started and there are number of things I'm trying to find answers too.

1) Most importantly I suppose is whether or not I can use FreeBSD to do development. I'm an old Sun guy and BSD is sort of burned into my fingers. If someone else has already brought up the tool chain on FreeBSD that would really be helpful.

2) Has anyone tried ECOS on this motherboard? It seems like a natural fit and if there is already a hal layer that incorporates this particular boards peripherals that would save me some time and effort. Any leads there also appreciated.

--Chuck