Help ! How to do ethernet loopback test in eCos ??

Hi,

I am trying to do external loopback test for one of my 2 ethernet MAC
interfaces.  So I need to generate an ethernet packet, send it out, and
compare the received packet with the one I just sent out.   I need to be
able to access the ethernet driver function. I was thinking of using
cyg_io_lookup() to find my ethernet port and call the API to write/read.
But by going through the discussion list, I realized that I can't use
these API for ethernet device. Seems I can only access ethernet device
through socket() interface. But my loopback test requires that I use
some arbitrary MAC address that's different from the real MAC address of
the port, otherwise the loopbacked ethernet packet will be dropped
because it's the same as the receive port MAC address.  Any input is
welcome and greatly appreciated !

thanks !

Zi