Re: FAT16/FAT32 support on eCos?

"Astley Chan" <astley@perceptiondigital.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have seen there are some discussion on this mail list about the
> availability of FAT16/FAT32 support on eCos. However, I couldn't found
> any package out there that could do the job. Since the discussion is
> about half-year ago, I would like to know is there any change to the
> status of FAT16/FAT32 support?

There has been no real progress. There do not appear to be any generic
implementations available with the right licensing. We cannot use
plain GPL code because of our exception, so something like a BSD
license is needed. The implementation from FreeBSD is too heavily
integrated with the BSD kernel to be much use, and the requirements of
an embedded system are very different from those of a
workstation/server.

I have the design completed and some of the implementation of a VFAT
filesystem underway, but it is currently a long way down my TODO list,
I haven't touched it for months. It really needs proper commercial
funding to progress more quickly.