Re: eCos with an ISS

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 16:42, Aldo Dolfi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use eCos in a co-simulation environment. This tool
> provides an Instruction Set Simulator for NEC v850.
> I would like to know wich are the basic requirements to be able to run
> eCos, apart from the processor and some memory.
>
> I saw that the only target for v850 is the ceb_v850; I guess I need to
> define a different target for my simulation environment, as described in
> "ecos porting guide - HAL Platform Porting Process"; is this right?
>
> At least for the beginning, I would not need gdb or printf support (I
> can use the tool's debugger).
>
> Is it possible to disable all support to gdb and stdio?
>
> Can I avoid implementing a serial driver? I am not simulating any serial hw.
>
> Any comments and pointers to other documentation are welcome.

I guess it all depends on what you want your simulated eCos
environment to "do".  If you want to show eCos running on this
"hardware", then it makes sense to run the standard eCos tests.
Most of these will have some [minimal] hardware requirements in
addition to just a processor and some memory.

If you want to run anything utilizing multiple threads, you'll need
an interrupt controller/subsystem and a timer capable of generating
constant "ticks" (a heartbeat), used by the scheduler.

I'd also suggest some sort of output device, even if it's only
a simulated bucket that just goes to RAM.

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |