Re: HD file system?

"Eric Verlind" <eric dot verlind at streamconcept dot be> writes:

[Please keep the discussion on the ecos-discuss list so others may
benefit from the mail exchange.]

> Could you please elaborate on your statement about the license? Could we
> take for instance the network driver for our pet Ethernet chip, which is not
> on the list of supported devices, from Linux and use it as a starting point
> for an eCos version?

Anything from Linux is pure GPL, eCos is GPL with an exception. The
exception allows non-GPL code to be linked directly with eCos to make
a single executable. Pure GPL does not allow that. Importing any GPL
code into eCos would effectively nullify the exception, reverting it
to pure GPL. We don't want that.

Aside from that issue, eCos network drivers are very different from
Linux ones, and there may not be very much code that could be used. I
have certainly looked at Linux drivers in the past when the details of
some controller were unclear from the documentation, but I have always
been very careful not to just cut-n-paste code across.