Re: BOOPT bootfile

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 07:51, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:36:09AM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:28:47AM +0100, Magnus Ekhall wrote:
>
> > > What is required to BOOTP load RedBoot boot from LAN? Where
> > > does the BOOTP store its downloaded bootfile, and how do I
> > > compile RedBoot so that it would work?
> >
> > Im not sure i understand your question.
> >
> > Do you want RedBoot to use the information in the bootp reply
> > to download in image from a server and then execute that image?
> >
> > If so, as far as i know, RedBoot does not support this. You
> > could add this though.
>
> I added this two years ago.  I submitted a patch, but the patch
> was declined.  Those in charge said that some non-existent
> features in boot scripts were "the right way" to do things.
> Meanwhile, those script features are still (AFAIK) non-existent.

Alas, it's sad how some things just never got to happen (...long
story, don't want to go there)

> > Reboot understands SREC and ELF images and supports getting an
> > image from TFTP. All you need to add it code to extract the
> > filename and server name from the bootp reply and then control
> > the tftp client code and jump into the image after it has been
> > loaded.
>
> FWIW, the patch I submitted is at
>
>       http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2001-03/msg00227.html
>
> The patch assumes the downloaded file is in SREC format.  The
> version I actually ship assumes it's a binary file (saves quite
> a bit on download time).

I've looked at this patch again and I still think that there are
[slightly] better ways to handle this.  I've a little time now, so
maybe I can actually make it happen this time.

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |