fis load -d

Do folks (still?) use "fis load -d" to decompress and load, for example, an
initial ramdisk into memory?  I am asking because when I try it on my
compressed ramdisk, I get a "decompression error: premature end of input"
error.  When I poke my nose through "decompress.c", I see that this is what
is reported when there is trailing data following the end of the
decompression.  My current working theory (subject to testing when I return
from lunch) is that the size stored in flash, which was rounded up to the
next block boundary, is confusing the decompression routine.

Has anybody else run into this?
Is there a simple workaround or should I submit a patch to the code
(assuming that my theory proves true)?
Does anybody use the decompression capability of "fis load"?
Did I miss the part where the Linux kernel will decompress it for me?  (Hmmm
I should go back and check that one).

--wpd