Re: New ARM core port

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 12:59, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> I am looking for some advice for the directory structure of my new ARM-core
> port.  I am porting eCos to Texas Instrument's new family of OMAP devices.
> These devices have an ARM9 core plus a DSP core in the same package.  For my
> first pass, I simply added my development board to the arm/arm9 HAL tree.
> Now that I have a second development board, I am about to create a new tree
> and clean up/discard the old one.
>
> My first inclination is to create a separate omap tree, i.e. arm/omap,
> create an arm/omap/var directory, and other directories for each board under
> arm/omap, since that is what I see now.  OTOH, when we did our '8260 port,
> we simply created both the 8260 variant and the platform hal directly in the
> powerpc tree.  OTOH, there are no variant HALS listed under hal/arm, just
> subdirectories with specific variants in them.
>
> So, going forward, which model would you prefer to see followed in the arm
> tree: the arm model or the powerpc model?

I don't see any good reason to break how the ARM platforms are
already being handled (yes, I know they don't match how PowerPC
and MIPS are done), so I think just putting it under hal/arm/arm9
would be best.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc