Re: Newbie questions

Hi Madhu,

Your answer is yes.
You need a bios customized to your hardware that does at least CPU
registers configuration (if needed), SDRAM memory controller configuration
(and basic memory test - for sanity), Super I/O and COM1 38400-8N1
programming or any other serial port support and network interface
configuration, if you intend to use RedBoot with network support.

The last thing this bios should do is to enter protected mode and do a "FAR
JMP" to the RedBoot entry point. The sample "romboot" available does
nothing specific to your hardware but is a fair starting point. You don't
have to reinvent a bios but you need to have at least the SDRAM working,
the other things may be done in C at the beginning of RedBoot...

Jose Luiz