Re: TCP stack not delaying/piggybacking ACKs?

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 09:36:24PM -0400, Mark Salter wrote:

> > I've been browsing around the sources and haven't quite figured
> > out how it's supposed to work.  I do have the TCP_NODELAY flag
> > set on the socket, but I don't know if that has anything to do
> > with it.  That is easy enough to test.
>
> Try turning it off.

I'll try it, but that's not an acceptible solution since not
setting NODELAY creates huge data transfer latencies.

> TCP_NODELAY tells the stack to send ACKs without
> waiting a bit for a possible packet to piggyback on.

Really? I just re-read that section of Stevens and it didn't
sound like it was supposed to do that.  I left the book in the
office, but it sounded to me like NODELAY tells the stack to go
ahead and send additional data packets without waiting for the
first one to be ACKed (that's certainly why I have it set).

I don't see why the two features should be linked.  :/