Re: Adding new platform

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 23:03, john ashfield wrote:
> Hi Iztok,
>
> I read your response on ecos discuss about "Adding new platform". I am very
> new to ecos, so I dont have much experience about adding a new platform
> when ecos does not support my platform (MPC7400). Based on you response
> email, I can add a new directory in packages/hal such as MPC74xx or I start
> with one of the existing directories by copying and renaming it to MPC74xx.
> Is it ok to do that? If so, how do I know what to change in the cdl and src
> files. In particular, what components should I keep or add in the cdl file
> that describe my platform?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Hi
  Yes, You can add a new directory to packages/hal. But better, if You can use
an existing one (copy/rename), that allready suits Your needs, at least
partially .

 The src files are normal c files, which You can edit freely, but you must
preserve the original entry points and function returns.
 The syntax for the cdl files is very similar to tcl programming syntax ( eg
cdl seems to be a tcl extension).

 Once You've created Your hal directory with corresponding cdl files, You must
add the target into the packages/ecos.db file, which is also esentially a cdl
file. (Just copy the original target definition , rename it to your target
and modify the packages/hal directory in there. (Targets used to be defined
somewhere near the end of ecos.db)

  But befor doing that You must obtain the most recent eCos documentation,
which is also available from the cvs server. Just do

%mkdir htdocs
%cd htdocs
%cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos login
  You will be prompted for a password which is anoncvs.
%cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/ecos -z 6 co -P htdocs

That's the way how I obtained the most recent eCos htdocs (it checks out in
the docs_latest directory).

There's an eCos porting guide in there, too.

Regards
iz