RE: patches reviewed?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, James Dabbs wrote:

> Gary Thomas <gary@chez-thomas.org> writes:
>
> > I would suggest, for one thing, grabbing a good hostname that can be used
> to host a web page, even if the provider/hosting
> > service switches around.
>
> I agree.  Even if a decision to use eCos is made on technical merits, it's
> unknown current standing is enough of a problem for a product/program
> manager to reach down and nix a decision to use it.  Before RedHat chucked
> it, commercial OS companies already seemed to have a sales-call routine down
> sling FUD if eCos came up ("eCos?  Oh that's just a shareware thing, isn't
> it?").  Every day the ecos "brand" is in limbo, it will suffer in terms of
> design wins, and ultimately, user community.

And then there are places where Open Source is viewed as a "Good Thing".
My boss is amazed that in the course of a week and a half that I was able
to get an application ported over to a new OS (eCos) and new hardware
platform using just open source tools. The project is by no means complete
- but the point I'm trying to make is that not everyone discounts Open
Source software for commercial development solely because it's Open
Source. The current flux in Redhat's support for eCos has had no effect on
the technical or business decisions for my particular project. Other
places may be different...

Scott