eth_drv_tx_done() question

Hi

is it OK to not wait for acknowledge (through eth_drv_tx_done() ) after
sc->send()  ?
As I see it this is required only if eth_drv uses packet specific data
and needs to know when it can be deallocated.
In the standalone driver there is a wait for that retransmission but
nothing is done differently even if that wait times out (packet not sent)
Is this only for flow control in redboot?
The reason I am asking this is that in the lwip specific eth_drv I think
I don't need to know when a packet is transmitted since the stack itself
takes care of retransmissions.It works without this wait but I want to
know I am not missing something.

Thanks
Jani.