RE: 802.11 and 802.11b

> Sorry for the slightly off topic question.
>
> Are 802.11 and 802.11b the same?  Is there any differences that would
> affect the way I write my Wavelan ethernet driver?
>
> If they are significantly differnet, how is this handled in the TCP/IP
> stack, or is it?  Should I handle this in the driver it's self and
> convert between the two?
>
> Any good references for information on the two?

No they are not the same. A very brief description of 802.11 family can be found here: http://80211-planet.webopedia.com/TERM/8/802_11.html
802.11b is an extension of 802.11 to get higher speed. But I would think the Wavelan card hides the difference for the driver.
There are Wavelan drivers for both Linux and *BSD as far as I now. Maybe they can give some ideas.

- Gustav