Re: Can't build redboot for sythetic linux target with floppy startup

Jack Kong wrote:

> 1.    Is ROM startup mean I have to burn/load the eCos as the firmware?

Yes.

> 2.    Is RAM startup mean startup with floppy or something else (etc,
> harddisk or flash)?

RAM startup means the application knows it has already been loaded
(somehow) into RAM.

> Secondly, I tried to build the redboot for synthetic linux target. And I
> have the following questions

RedBoot isn't supported for the synthetic linux target. It wouldn't make
any sense really. eCos applications are supported though.

> 1.    Is building redboot/eCos for synthetic linux means I can execute the
> program exactly the same as the version running on my linux box? (For an
> instance, I have a program called "abc" running on my linux box, Red Hat
> linux 7.x)

Yes (for eCos).

> 2.    What's the difference between PC target and synthetic linux target? I
> have searched for the answer from the discussion mail list, but I still
> confused.

PC target is treating a PC as actual target hardware. You boot off a floppy
into e.g. RedBoot and load your app over the serial port. Or you could boot
your app straight off the floppy too.

The linux synthetic target allows you to make applications that run under
Linux as Linux executables.