Re: Confused at redboot.bin and redboot.elf...

Vive l'amour wrote:

Nice surname, almost spelt the right way too ;-). Okay, it isn't your
surname really, I realise...

> Hi, I'm a newbie in eCos. I am confused at the relationship between the
> prebuilt RedBoot binaries for i386: redboot.bin and redboot.elf.  After
> I dd' the redboot.bin file to floppy, I can boot the target PC with
> floppy and the RedBoot prompt is shown. I'm wondering if redboot.bin
> alone boots the PC, then what is redboot.elf for?

It's the original ELF format file that was used to generate the binary
file. The ELF file is what is output by the compiler.

> Are these prebuilt
> binaries able to do remote debug with GDB?

Yes. Try it and see!

> 2. If I want to make a bootable floppy with the eCos TCP/IPnet package,
> what are the procedures from creating a new template to uploading the
> image? I've read the mailing list and someone said : to make a bootable
> floppy, one should choose the 'stubs' option and then add packages
> required while creating a template. However, I can never make it
> successfully compiled.  If what I want is to be able to remotely debug
> the image on my PC target with GDB, then what options should I select in
> the Configuration Tool?

Choose the "floppy" startup type when building the eCos library.

However, while you're still developing you it's probably better to use
redboot off the floppy, and download and debug using GDB, in which case you
would use the "ram" startup type. You can find the startup type
configuration option in the PC HAL package.