From: "David" <cfliu@csie.nctu.edu.tw>
To: <ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 10:19 PM
Subject: [ECOS] [eCos] How to make a GDB awared Redboot floppy image on 386
platform

Dear eCos experts,

I am a newbie in eCos and I'm wondering if you could answer some of my silly
questions since you are also using GDB+Redboot on i386 platform. Let me
first explain what I want to do. It's very simple. I want to boot the target
PC with a floppy and use GDB to load application image via serial line
(what format of the image file should be? .img, .rom, .elf???)  into the
target PC from the host PC (ethernet would be better, but unfortunately I
don't have Intel's NIC, only Realtek's ).

I don't know whether I need to rebuild a redboot image or Redhat's prebuilt
Redboot binary (redboot.bin and redboot.elf) is sufficient to  cowork with
GDB  debugging.  If I need to rebuild Redboot, could you tell me what
options should I select in the configuration tool? I've tried to do this
many times but every redboot.bin I made doesn't boot. What I know at this
time is how to create a boot floppy with Redhat's prebuilt redboot.bin  with
UNIX dd command.

I'd appreciate if you could help me or give me any hints on the web for
reference. Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,
David Liu
Natl. C.T University, Taiwan.