RE: Re: Romboot in i386 (continued) - comms. problems

>>Why? Just enable the FIFOs and leave it at that. If interrupts are
>>disabled, the HAL code won't notice any difference.

Right. Thanks - the 16550 I'm using for test downloads fine at 38400
with FIFOs on (after a couple of initial packet timeouts ?)

I'd like to get the debug link going as quickly as possible eventually
and I can't see 115200 working with this setup. I'd still like to put the
ISR code together.

Also, as I'm using a 386EX I have two 16450's which I'd like the option
to use for debugging purposes - again, I'd need interrupt driven comms.

I'm still trying to understand what the problem is here with an interrupt
driven implementation. Is polled mode for Redboot a design decision?
If so is there somewhere I can look for the background ?

Further down the line we're looking to put together an Ethernet driver
for the RTL8019, to eliminate all of the serial comms bottlenecking.
I take it that there is some level of interrupt support in Redboot for
this purpose ?

On a slightly different note, after the successful download of the
'hello' example the target seems to lock (I'm using Insight). I'd
like to see where this happens but I can't see a way to make
Insight/GDB breakpoint prior to execution of the first instruction.
Is there an obvious way of doing this which I'm just missing ?

Thanks,

 Alex

The message in this transmission is sent in confidence for the attention of the addressee only and should not be disclosed to any other party. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this confidentiality. Please advise the sender if the addressee is not resident at the receiving end.

All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail by using MessageLabs Virus Control Centre. Arcom Control Systems Ltd cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail.

Company registered in England No. 1608562.
Registered Office: Unit 8, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK  CB1 7EA. Tel No. 01223 411200.