RE: Network programming for eCos under linux

  > #includes are different. eCos just needs <networks.h> where as linux
  > needs a big collection of include files.

Yep, I know what to include for a Linux program.

  > You need to stick to the very basic sockets API. Things like
  > gethostbyname(), getdomainname() are not implemented on eCos.

Yep, that too! ;)

  > I found some compiler bugs. Code that worked with the plain linux
  > compiler did not with the arm-elf. These were to do with access to
non
  > aligned memory.

Very weird

  > Watch out for endianness issues. i386 linux is little endian. Whats
  > the endianness of your target? Things like this affects network
code.

This shouldn't pose a problem since I've configured my ARM as
little-endian.  However, htons (), htonl (), etc should solve that
problem anyhow, shouldn't it?  I mean as far networking code goes that
is.  I would obviously have to be careful about data types between the
two if they were different.  It's nice to have the ARM with 32-bit
little-endian!  Makes my life a lot easier since I'm sending data to a
PC.

  > The code i was writting was relativly simple and did not need any of
  > the ecos cyg_* functions. Overall i found it a worth while way of
  > writing the code. It edit/compile/run/crash cycle is much faster :-)

I would imagine it is faster using Linux.

What about threads?  How do those work under Linux?  Are they similar at
all?