RE: error connecting to GDB.. (need some more..help)

On 03-Jul-2001 Sateesh  Soman wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a similar problem of connecting to the target through GDB using serial.
>
>> Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Sending packet:
>> $Hc-1#09...Sending packet: $Hc-1#09..
>> Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Timed out.
>> Timed out.
>> Timed out.
>> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>> Sending packet: $qC#b4...Sending packet:
>> $qC#b4...Sending packet: $qC#b4...Sendi
>> ng packet: $qC#b4...Timed out.
>> Timed out.
>> Timed out.
>> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>> Sending packet: $qOffsets#4b...Sending packet:
>> $qOffsets#4b...Sending packet: $q
>> Offsets#4b...Sending packet: $qOffsets#4b...Timed out.
>> Timed out.
>> Timed out.
>> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>> Couldn't establish connection to remote target
>> Malformed response to offset query, timeout
>> (gdb)
> I have checked both my ports and they are working fine.
> Could you please tell me how this could be resolved?
>
> Here is what I have done.
> I have tried connecting GDB in two ways:
> 1. I have first got the o/p on HyperTerminal and then I disconnect and connect the GDB on the
> port.
> 2. I don't open the Hyperterminal et all, I test my target uing ping and when my target replies,
> I know its booted and try connecting to it through GDB.
>
> I am able to get the RedBoot> prompt on both the HyperTerminals when I connected to both the COM
> ports one at a time. Does this confirm that I can connect to the GDB using this port..?
>
> In both the above cases, I get the same error. I have surfed through the mailing lists if some
> one got a similar kind of error, but I couldn't find a satisfactory reply.
>
> I am using V2.0.2 ConfigTool with latest eCos package (dt: 28-06-01) and my target is a PC. Host
> is running WinNT. I have built redboot with importing floppy.ecm.

Try connecting via hyperterm and typing '$Hc-1#09' by hand.  You should get
something like this: +$OK#9a  (Note, you won't seen anything until the '+'
comes back).  If this works when typed slowly, I would think that your target
can't keep up with data at 38400 when it comes in bursts.  If that is the
case, then you could try rebuilding RedBoot for the target to run GDB at a
slower baudrate.