RE: a couple of questions from a rookie... :o/

Thank you very much for the help! I really appreciate it!

-----Original Message-----
From: Hugo Tyson [mailto:hmt@redhat.com]
Sent: den 26 juni 2001 12:26
To: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] a couple of questions from a rookie... :o/

Arif.Abbas@combitechsystems.com writes:
> The questions I want to ask may seem a bit stupid to you guys if you are
> a bit experienced.

Don't worry about it - welcome to the list!

> But the thing is that I am working on my thesis project, an this is the
> first glimpse of "real life beyond course literature" for me... :o)
> Anyway, I've got the eCos config tool and gdb environment running ok. I
> have also built a lib for eCos1.3.1 for Intel EBSA285 StrongARM board and
> everything seems fine.  But the thing is that I am not using that
> hardware. The one I am using is not represented in the list of supported
> types...I am using a target called mediaEngine from Brightstar
> Engineering.

> My question is where do I get the "correct" eCos files for it? As far as
> I understood, you can (or should) use the CVS repository...But HOW to use
> it is another Q....

Yes, you should use anoncvs to get the latest sources.
See   http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html

> Has ANYONE here worked with the above mention platform (mediaEngine from
> BSE) and eCos?

Not that exact platform, BUT the anoncvs eCos sources contain support for
the nanoEngine and commEngine from BSE; they're mentioned alongside the
mediaEngine in  http://www.brightstareng.com/arm/

The target name is "nano" and in fact that supports both nanoEngine and
commEngine - the only difference as far as eCos and RedBoot are concerned
is the number of i82559 ethernet interfaces, everything else that we use is
the same.  I don't know whether it would "just work" for the mediaEngine
but the nano target would certainly be the best place to start.  I suspect
the ethernet controller is not an i82559 'cos it only says 10 Base-T not
10/100 on that web page.

	- Huge