Non-char devices

Hello!

I am currently writing a device driver for eCos for a LCD device. On top of
the LCD i have a console for writing strings/chars on it. Right now I only
want to use it for debugging, but in the future it would be nice to access
the LCD directly and draw on it like a canvas.

The console is pretty easy to implement, since the io interface seems to be
meant for char devices with write and read characters in a buffer. But if I
want to access the LCD directly, I would either have to wrap the
drawing-info in a buffer (not being too efficient) or make the
drawing functions public property in the kernel hoping to access them
directly from userspace
(which is probably possible since i don't have any MMU or well documented
supervisor mode on my chip). I would like a platform generic way of writing
a display driver, and I am probably missing something. That is where you
guys come in :). Any tips and hints?

Thanks in advance

Niclas Anderberg

PS! I am using eCos 1.3.1 (not CVS).