RE: redboot on ipaq

On 19-Jun-2001 Weilong Li wrote:
> I got something wrong when I want to install
> redboot permanently on ipaq.
>
> The redboot ram version is running correctly and
> the ethernet card also got the correct ip information.
> Under redboot prompt,
> I typed
>
> RedBoot> lo -r -b 0x100000 /tftpboot/redboot_ROM.bin
>
> RedBoot> fi loc -f 0x50000000 -l 0x40000
> RedBoot> fis init
> RedBoot> fi unl -f 0x50040000 -l 0x40000
>
> And everything is fine. Until I type
>
> RedBoot> fi cr RedBoot -b 0x100000
> Then I got the following message:
>
> An image named 'RedBoot' exists-are you sure (y/n)?
> And the problem is that after the message is shown,
> the area where lcd keyboard is become total white
> blank, so I cannot type any characters correctly.

Were you doing this using the LCD/touch?  If so, the screen
will blank after a few seconds.  Simply pressing any button
on the front should bring it back.

However, I would recommend you do this install using the
serial port as console.

> Please tell me what is the problem.
>
> Also, two questions more:
> 1) After the redboot ROM version is correctly
> installed
> on ipaq, can I still be able to bring up the blue bird
> screen(by pressing reset and action button together)
> restore winCE.

Yes.

> 2) I used seriale cable to remotely debug
> thread_gdb.exe(the prebuilt version in ecos1.3.1
> for pid) on ipaq when the redboot ram version is
> running, however, I can connect and download the
> code, but when I am running, I got bus error message.
> And there is nothing shown when I connect and download
> code(though I can got these messsage on the host
> machine when insight is running). So is that redboot
> ram version is not used for debugging, just
> for download the redboot rom version, and then
> flash redboot rom version permanently.

This is probably a problem of address overlap.  It is
possible to load & run programs from the WinCE version,
but you'd need to adjust the eCos build paramters to do so.

Once you get RedBoot installed as the primary image in Flash
these problems will go away.