Re: Hosed ipaq

Howdy,

> Sorry to have been so harsh, but we have to get this message across.

Fair enough. :->

> You must have been working from a very old RedBoot, possibly not even one
> released by us.  I do recall that there were differences in the memory map
> from what was originally contributed by 3GLab and the final product.

Yes, this is a 3G Lab version, and it is most likely that which caused the
virtual/physical funniness you mentioned.

> So, here's my conjecture.  If you built RedBoot/ROM straight from the current
> setup, it is designed to run at 0x50040000 (eCos programs are not position
> independent).  You ended up putting this image into the Flash at 0x00000000
> (physical addr), which is the boot sector.  This simply won't work.

Yup, sounds exactly like this is what I did. <sigh> I hadn't considered
that you'd accounted for the "parrot" bootloader, and thought you'd just
built them to run at 0. Oh well, next time I'll check the ldi file before
assuming anything. What can I say? I was excited :->

> One of the things in the new instructions is to write protect the boot flash
> code.  It is frightenly easy to write to the flash memory on the iPAQ and
> the possibility of writing over the boot code is all too real.

I was very careful to lock the boot flash, but locking flash containing
code which is expecting to be at 0x50040000 into 0x50000000 probably
isn't very useful ;->

Is there a way of loading a ram-based redboot directly from the parrot
loader, and then following the steps in 5.12.2.3? I would prefer to be
able to do it all from the comfort of minicom rather than requiring a
windows pc to get all the files over, etc...

See ya,

Nick

--
Nick Clarey, System Architect        | "Sometimes when you fill a vacuum,
3G LAB                               |  it still sucks."  - Rob Pike