Re: odd serial input bug in redboot 095308 20010607 on iP

On 08-Jun-2001 David Bliss wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 09:02:51AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>
>> I've never seen this and I _have_ put RedBoot on a number of iPAQ units.
>> Which is not to say, "I don't believe you".
>>
>> What happens if you press the reset button (small indent on the bottom
>> of the unit)?
>
> Same behaviour as 'reset'.  If it was previously working, it continues to
> work.  If it was previously not working it continues to not work.

That pretty much kills the speculation below.

Have you changed the baud rate, or is it still at the default of 38400?

Do you see any of the boot-up messages on the serial port when it freezes?  These
should be displayed, no matter what, up to the first prompt.

I do have a unit here where the serial is pretty squirrely, although not the
same as yours.  I've found that if I simply unplug/plug the serial (take it out
of the cradle, whatever), that it comes back fine.  Can you try this?

Do you have a network connection?  If so, you could try accessing the unit that
way when it is in this state and maybe get a glimpse into what it is doig.

What is the vintage of this unit?