Re: cc1plus problem

"Nicola Bergamin [BW]" <nicola.bergamin@bluewind.it> writes:

> Hi,
> I've tried to build gcc2.95.2 under cygwin1.3.1.
> using source files:
>
> binutils-2.10.1.tar.gz2,
> gcc-core-2.95.2.tar.bz2
> gcc-g++-2.95.2.tar.bz2
>
> and patch:
> ecos-gcc-2952.pat
>
> The build seemed ok, except that "cc1plus.exe" was not built at all!
> Another strange thing, "libgcc.a" was 99kB, appeared too small in
> size.

You should rather refer to the gcc documentation for this kind of problems.

> (I checked with other builds, it should make 240kB)
>
> The instruction I followed is the standard set in eCos website, and
> here is the
> command file I used under bash shell:
> (just report here the GCC section...)
> ************************************
> #!/bin/sh
> target=arm-elf
> prefix=/tools_ecos
> mkdir -p /tmp/build/build_gcc
>
> cd /tmp/build/build_gcc/src/gcc/gcc-2.95.2/configure \
>  --target=$target \
>  --prefix=$prefix \
>  --exec_prefix=$prefix/xgcc \
>  --with-gnu-as \
>  --with-gnu-ld \
>  --with-newlib -v 2>&1 | tee configure-xgcc.out
>
> make -w  all-gcc install-gcc  LANGUAGES="c c" 2>&1 | tee make-
> xgcc.out
>
> By changing to ...LANGUAGES="c c++"
> everything worked, cc1plus.exe was built and libgcc.a got 240kB
> size, as expected.
>
> Does anybody know the meaning of "c c", and "c c++" strings?

As you might already know, gcc compiles different programming languages. The
LANGUAGES make variable defines which languages you want to build gcc for.

> What's wrong with the original build commands?  Thanks Nicola

It specifies two times C but not C++ so you do not get C++ and that's why your
libgcc is smaller, it doesn't contains the C++ runtime support.

Robin