Re: Redboot and edb7211

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> writes:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On 19-Apr-2001 Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > > Perhaps the message is the initial checksum error reported when no Flash
> > > Image System has been created yet. If you do a "fis init" it may just go
> > > away.
> >
> > These two items are not related in any way.
> >
> > *  'fis init' rebuilds only the FIS directory.
> >
> > *  The warning about checksum failures is about the 'fconfig' database.  One
> >    needs to run 'fconfig' to fix that.
>
> But presumably you can't do an fconfig until you've done an "fis init", so
> both steps are required in order.

Not sure.  I think the fconfig stuff is placed where it's placed and that's
that.  "fis init" happens to make an entry that decribes where fconfig is
placed, to help the user know what flash is used for what, and to keep the
fis from using that flash itself.  But the fconfig does not refer to the
fis to determine what flash to use; it's not that way round.

If RedBoot startup reports a bad checksum, and the system appears to hang
without a RedBoot> prompt, it's probably trying to use BOOTP to get an IP
address.  Either wait a while, or build a RedBoot with no networking
included and try that, use it to initialize the flash then upgrade to one
with net - no net => no BOOTP => no delay at startup.

Warning, if you have a valid fconfig block in flash, but a new
configuration of RedBoot adds some new keys, you might have to explicitly
erase (using "fis erase -f 0x503e0000 -l 0x10000" or whatever) the old
fconfig data and reset it all to get the new keys to "take".  Doesn't
happen often that a new configuration changes things like this - except
when debugging a whole new port and messing with extra fco settings - but
mentioned just in case...

	- Huge