Re: RedBoot: supporting netmask/gateway

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 04:22:32PM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

>> Adding netmask/gateway support to RedBoot is now on my
>> official list of things to do.
>
> I think you're in for a considerable amount of work.  If
> you're up to it I applaud you :-)
>
> Besides adding the handling for gateways, routing and possibly
> even packet forwarding, you'll need to add IP fragmentation
> and better TCP window support.  The [very simple] stack in
> RedBoot has none of these.

I don't plan on doing packet forwarding or any sort of routing
other than having a single default gateway.  Basically: if the
dest IP for a packet isn't on the local network, send it to the
gateway.

The fragmentation and window issues may be a problem, but I
guess I'll trip over that when I come to it.  As far as DHCP is
concerned, I don't think I'm going to support lease renewal or
any tags other than netmask.

All want to be able to do is telnet to the bootloader, issue a
"load" command and a "go" command.  The host from which the
telnet session originates, and the TFTP server might both be
non-local.

> You might get away with a slimmed down package if you know
> that there is always a router/gateway nearby and you convince
> it to not hand you anything ugly.

The bootloader in our old products seems to work well enough
through gateways, and it's got a stack more primitive than
RedBoot's.  I'm sure there are some configurations where it
won't work, but if I can cover 90% of customer requests, that
will be good enough.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com