Re: build error in net directory

On 07-Jan-2001 bgat@open-widgets.com wrote:
> Gary:
>

> You know, I bet one of these days I'm going to need to RTFM.  :^)
>
> Thanks for the help.  It also applies to snmp, I presume?

No, I don't think so.  I'm pretty sure that SNMP can be added, and be
sufficient, all by itself.

As for the manual, this point might have been hard to find there :-(
The problem is that the 'net' package, while mostly self contained in terms
of compilation, etc, needs additional packages such as the ethernet
driver framework to be complete.  It would be good [I'll look into this]
for the code which requires additional packages to make sure that they
are available and issue a more useful diagnostic when they are not.

In fact, the attached patch goes a long way towards this goal.

> b.g.
>

> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 08:27:34AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>
>> On 06-Jan-2001 bgat@open-widgets.com wrote:
>> > Guys:
>> >

>> > I just updated to the latest CVS and tried to build as follows:
>> >

>> > ecosconfig new mbx
>> > ecosconfig add net
>>
>> Don't do it this way.  The 'net' package is not self sufficient.  What
>> you really want is:
>>   % ecosconfig new mbx net
>>
>> The 'net' template adds both the basic network stack _and_ the ethernet
>> driver framework, which is where 'netdev.h' comes from.
>>

> --
> Bill Gatliff
> bgat@open-widgets.com

diffs