Re: gcc Build problem

    Rafael>    I was building the development tools for ARM in thumb
    Rafael> mode (almost copy&pasting the web instructions) but when I
    Rafael> tried to configure gcc I obtained that the configuration
    Rafael> tool stops with error said "thumb-unknown-elf is not a
    Rafael> valid target" or something like that, so I had to
    Rafael> configure it with: --target=arm-thumb-elf (instead of what
    Rafael> appears in the web that is "--target=thumb-elf"). I had to
    Rafael> reconfigure and rebuild binutils with
    Rafael> --target=arm-thumb-elf. I think that overrides the problem
    Rafael> ¿should the web information be changed? ¿Have I done it
    Rafael> wrong?

    Rafael> Another thing: arm-thumb-elf-gcc is capable of compiling
    Rafael> thumb code but, is it able Rafael> to compile for ARM
    Rafael> mode?

I believe thumb-elf is correct for the particular snapshot of gcc that
is recommended on the eCos installation packages, the 2000-03-13
snapshot that was used for testing. Looking at the gcc web pages at
http://gcc.gnu.org/ I see the following announcement:

  May 1, 2000

    Richard Earnshaw of ARM Ltd, and Nick Clifton of Cygnus, a Red Hat
    company, have contributed a new backend for the Arm and Thumb
    processors.

    The new backend combines code generation for the Arm, the Thumb
    and the StrongArm into one compiler, with the target processor and
    instruction sets being selectable via command line switches.

So I suspect that for gcc snapshots after May 1st you would want to
use arm-thumb-elf instead, and the resulting compiler would be capable
of compiling for both modes. However AFAIK we have not tested eCos
against such snapshots so you may run into problems.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer