Re: How to get symbols for vectors.S?

    >> <snip>
    >>
    Grant> It seems to be the line number info that's missing. The
    Grant> message from gdb when I step into vectors.S is something
    Grant> like "stopped at address 0x164 in a file compiled without
    Grant> debug". I've never had any problems with line info for the
    Grant> C and C++ files, just the assembly-language files.
    >>
    Grant> Someday when I have some spare time...
    >>
    >> There was a previous discussion on this topic on ecos-discuss, May
    >> 17th to May 19th, you might want to check the archives. My
    >> understanding is that the GNU assembler currently cannot automatically
    >> add debugging information such as line numbers.

    Grant> I've never had problems with line number info for other ARM
    Grant> assembly code. The "--gstabs" option to arm-elf-as seems to
    Grant> place line number info into the object file, and gdb finds
    Grant> it OK.

I don't see --gstabs in my version of the gas documentation, but I'll
take your word for it :-)

    Grant> [off to try to get gcc to pass the "--gstabs" option to the
    Grant> assembler when vectors.S is "compiled".]

Appending -Wa,--gstabs to CYGBLD_GLOBAL_CFLAGS might do the trick,
although it may also have side effects on other files. The build
system right now does not really have any special options just for
assembler files because there are so few of them.

Bart