RE: ROM config

On 21-Jul-2000 Bill Hegardt wrote:

> I am new to the ecos world. I can configure and build ecos 1.3 just
> fine. I am targeting a ppc8xx board that we designed and so
> it has no ROM monitor to start with. I have created a new template for
> the board and modified the startup code. My question
> is: should I be building with the Cygmon package, GDB stubs and/or ROM
> startup options? Does Cygmon replace the functionality
> of a ROM monitor?
>
> I do have an BDM emulator to debug the startup code but I would like to
> use GDB long term. I  would be happy
> just to see some printf output on the serial port for starters.

For your purposes, GDB stubs and CygMon are virtually the same.  However,
I'd suggest going with the GDB stubs as the ramp-up is much smaller.  Very
little needs to be set up and working for the stubs to work.

The 'mbx' configuration uses pretty much just the bare board so that's
a good place to start.  About all you might need to tweak are the CPU clock
and DRAM setups to get it going.  It shouldn't be long at all before you
have the GDB "I'm alive"* string showing up on your serial port.

FYI - the "I'm alive" string will look something like:
  +$Txxx   where 'xxx' is a bunch of numbers, etc.