Re: Notes on static configuration of an eCos network inte

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:45:44AM -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:

> > The numbers aren't hard-coded.  I have a structure that
> > contains the ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway. This
> > data was constructed by my boot loader code.
>
> The idea was [the hope was] that the required data would be
> exactly what BOOTP provides if used.  Having you mimic BOOTP
> was supposed to make this easier.

It would -- except that the boot loader code that builds the
structure containing the IP info already existed, and rather
than modify that code (it's built under DOS with ARM tools -- I
mess with it as little as possible), I just passed the IP
addresses it provides to my copy of build_bootp_record which
puts the gateway address in the bp_giaddr.s_addr feild instead
of adding it to the body with TAG_GATEWAY as it should.

The right thing to do would be:

 1) Port the boot-loader over to the gnu toolset.  Right now
    it's a royal PITA to work with.

 2) Change the boot loader so that it exports a bootp record
    instead of our home-made structure -- if there's no IP info
    in flash it will use DHCP to get an address, but then it
    tears apart the bootp response and puts the info into the
    aforementioned structure.

Then I wouldn't need my hacked version of build_bootp_record.

> I haven't looked at how the DHCP support has changed this, so
> maybe it will improve.  If not, we're certainly open to
> listening to what you need.

What I really need is some spare time...

;)

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com